Monday, September 26, 2005

First Day of Clinical

Today was my first day in clinical in a Geriatric facility. I am very excited to be there and finally, really learning nursing. I partnered with another student nurse and we gave our first bed bath. Let's just say I am starting to realize just how much I have to learn. Not just the raw information but the techniques and the skills. There is so much I have taken for granted and now that I am actually faced with doing the job I see how little I know. But this realization brings me to "beginner's mind" which is where I need to be in order to continue this process of becoming. I had hoped that I was already there, but I see now I still have a ways to go. But I am on the path. And that is a beginning.

4 Comments:

Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse said...

So??????? How did it all go? One of the nearby colleges is starting their round of clinicals at a geriatric facility and the students have been learning all the CNA skills. Next, they'll get into nursing skills. I think it's a good way to start.

My school, on the other hand is almost completely hospital focused and we start in one of the the hospitals. The only facility that won't be is the Psyc rotation, which will be done in a smaller facility.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Nurse2B said...

Wow - it's been an intense week. We only get one day a week of clinical so I don't go again until Monday. But, yes, I think doing geriatric first does make some sense. This is how I am doing it. Some of the others in my class get OB first and some Peds. It just worked out that way. I will do a fuller post over the weekend. I have just been swamped!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to say good luck!

OB/Peds are first? I graduate in May and I'm just now doing OB/Peds. We had to cover 2 semesters of med/surg first.

Your blog makes me want to move to NYC by the way. :) (That's saying a lot coming from a Texan)
~Jodi

3:13 AM  
Blogger SVN, prn said...

Just found your blog.... keep your head up ...I can 100% relate.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home